This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bosanski Petrovac (Municipality, Una-Sana Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: bosanski petrovac | sun: half (yellow) | edelweiss | stars: 3 (yellow) | castle (white) | fir (green) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Presentation of Bosanski Petrovac

Bosanski Petrovac is traditionally considered as the old Croatian town of Pset, as mentioned in the 10th century by Emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitos; however, this is not unanimuously accepted by modern scientists.
The town was known in 1334 as St. Petri de eodem. It was seized by the Ottomans in the 1520s and its the modern development started after the Peace of Karlovci (1699), when it was colonized by people leaving the Lika and Dalmatia regions transferred to Venetia and Austria. Petrovac, at the time called Hrvatski Petrovac, was a seat of a Diocese of the Croatian Orthodox Church (HPC) in 1942-1945. HPC was established in the Independent State of Croatia in an attempt to "solve the Serbian issue".

Željko Heimer, 4 June 2011


Coat of arms of Bosanski Petrovac

[Municipal arms]

Coat of arms of Bosanski Petrovac - Image by Željko Heimer, 4 June 2011

The coat of arms (image) is described in Article 9 of the Municipal Statutes Statut Općine/Opštine Bosanski Petrovac (prečišćen tekst) (text, adopted on 29 September 2008 by the Municipal Assembly

The coat of arms is described as follows:

The coat of arms is on a white background, semi-circular shield with the following symbols:
- sun and blue skyes, symbolizing the climate with more than 300 sunny days a year;
- the contours of the mountains surrounding Bosanski Petrovac;
- the edelweiss at the mountain top;
- spruce, fir, symbols of the dominant natural resources;
- circular saw, symbol of woodworks as the primary industry;
- ruins of the medieval town, symbol of historical heritage;
- cascades of the masoned walls, town fortress, symbolizing the establishment of the modern Bosanski Petrovac;
- the year "1878" symbolizing the year when the name Bosanski Petrovac was first used as such;
- three stars symbolizing the three constitutive nations living for centuries in these regions;
- contours of carpet, symbol of houseworks of the women of thePetrovac region.
The coat of arms is made in blue, green, yellow and red.
At the top is a white rectangle with the blue inscription "Bosanski Petrovac".

The Populari database gives the year of adoption of the coat of arms as 2005.
The constitutionality of the symbol was not disputed.

Željko Heimer, 4 June 2011


Former coat of arms of Bosanski Petrovac

[Former arms]

Former coat of arms of Bosanski Petrovac - Image by Željko Heimer, 4 June 2011

The Populari database includes the coat of arms that was used in the 1990s, from some time after 1992 until, probably, 2005. It already has elements of the current coat of arms, so it obviously served as inspiration for it.
The coat of arms is "Azure, a carpet ornament: a lozenge serrated gules coticed serrated celestial and in chief an outline of hills dark blue'. The shield is topped with a ribbon or inscribed sable.

Željko Heimer, 4 June 2011