Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: maranhao | codó |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 15 May 2010
image based on http://www.codo.ma.gov.br/?pg=conteudo&id=13
Vertically divided, black-white-red, the central stripe slightly wider, with the municipal arms on the central stripe.
Official website at
http://www.codo.ma.gov.br/. The flag is shown on the official site, at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 May 2010
The municipality of Codó (118,072 inhabitants in 2010; 4,364 sq. km) is
located in eastern Maranhão, 290 km of São Luis. Codó was made a "vila" by
Royal Resolution of 19 April 1833 and a "cidade" by State Law No. 13 of 16
The symbols of Codó were designed by Pr. Raimundo Nonato Sousa. Black represent the black people living in the municipality, which has inherited several of their legends, religious practices and customs. White represent the European colonists. Red represent the natives.
The coat of arms of is quartered. The first quarter shows the five towers of the castle of King of France Louis XIII. The second quarter shows shows a Maltese Cross outlined in red, symbolizing the Christian religion brought by the Jesuit missionaries. The third quarter shows African music instruments, representing culture and tradition. The fourth quarter shows a man wearing overalls and a helmet, representing extraction of limestone, bauxite and gypsum.
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2012