This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Presidente Olegário, Minas Gerais (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | presidente olegário |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Presidente Olegário, Minas Gerais image by Dirk Schönberger, 26 August 2010 and Ivan Sache, 7 February 2012
Source: adapted fromário

See also:

About the Flag

A green flag with the municipal arms on a large white centred diamond.

The official site is at
Dirk Schönberger, 26 August 2010

The municipality of Presidente Olegário (18,546 inhabitants in 2010; 3,531 sq. km) is located in northwestern Minas Gerais, 430 km of Belo Horizonte. The municipality is made of the town of Presidente Olegário proper and of the districts of Galena, Santiago de Minas e Ponte Firme (aka São Pedro da Ponte Firme). Presidente Olegário originates in the Santa Rita de Boa Sorte chapel established on 10 October 1851. The district of Santa Rita, created in 1867, was renamed Santa Rita de Patos in 1890. The municipality of Presidente Olegário was established in 31 December 1938.

The flag of Presidente Olegário is green with a white lozenge charged with the municipal coat of arms. It can be seen on a photo of the smiling local hero, the young karateka Michelle Dayanne de Souza, published on 23 June 2008 in "AG Esport", and, in less details, on the official websites of the Municipality and of the Municipal Council. - "AG Esport", 23 June 2008 - Municipal website, gallery "Conhecendo Presidente Olegário", 4th row, 5th image - Municipal Council website

The coat of arms of Presidente Olegário is described on the official websites as "Quartered, 1. Or a Latin cross argent per bend charged with a sprig of lily proper, 2. Azure a bell proper, 3. Gules a bovine head proper, 4. Or a branch of soybean fructed proper, the base vert a fess wavy argent. The shield is surmounted by a mural crown argent. The shield is surrounded dexter by a maize plant proper and sinister by a rice plant proper. Beneath the shield is a scroll gules inscribed sable '10-10-1851 - PRESIDENTE OLEGARIO - 01-01-1931'.

The first quarter represents St. Rita, the patron saint of the municipality. The second quarter recalls the big landlords who colonized the place. The third quarter recalls represents cattle- breeding, the main source of income. The fourth quarter represents agriculture, the other big source of income. The base represents River Prata, which crosses the municipal territory from south to north, on a green field representing the rich soil. The supporters represent the original agriculture in the municipality [soybean was introduced more recently in Brazil]. The scroll is charged with the date of foundation of the St. Rita parish (10-10-1851) and the date of inauguration of the municipality (01-01-1931).

The drawing of the coat of arms used on the very same official websites does not fully match the description, showing the base of the shield or instead of vert. The base is indeed vert on the flag hoisted behind Michelle Dayanne de Souza, matching the written description rather than the drawing. - Municipal Council website

To make the things even simpler, the two official websites show the same photo of a flag with yet another rendition of the arms. Here the quarters of the shield are mirrored - but the supporters and the scroll are not, therefore the photo itself is not mirrored. The bell is argent instead of or, the cross is or instead of argent, on vert instead of or, and without the lily sprig. The doors of the towers in the mural crown are argent instead of sable. This flag looks older in design and state than the one behind Michelle Dayanne de Souza. - Municipality website - Municipal Council website
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2012