Last modified: 2011-02-04 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | são gonçalo do rio abaixo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Dirk Schönberger, 14 September 2010
Source: adapted from http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/São_Gonçalo_do_Rio_Abaixo
A horizontal triband, 1-2-1 green-yellow-green bearing the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 13 September 2010
While no source is given for the coat of arms on Wikipedia, the
municipal website shows a more
"modern" rendition of the coat of arms.
The flag of São Gonçalo do Rio Abaixo was adopted on 28 June 1977 by Law No. 187. It is made of two green rectangular stripes flanking a yellow rectangular stripe charged with the municipal coat of arms. The colours of the flag recall the national flag of Brazil.
The coat of arms of São Gonçalo do Rio Abaixo is made of a shield surmounted by a mural crown representing the past cycle of gold and flanked by two coffee branches representing agriculture; under the shield, a blue scroll bears the writing 30/12 / S.G. DO RIO ABAIXO / 1932, that is the name of the municipality flanked by its date of foundation. The shield is "Per pale, 1a. Argent a chalice with a host, 1b. Argent a pale gules, 2. A cow argent and sable on a terrace vert in the background a mountain range argent a sky azure two clouds argent." The chalice represents the Catholic religion, while the red and white quarter represents Minas Gerais.
Ivan Sache, 15 September 2010