Last modified: 2012-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: pernambuco | garanhuns |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 5 May 2011
A red field with a white rectangle with wavy base in the upper half, bearing three black crows, and in the lower half three white disks each bearing three horizontal wavy dark blue lines.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 5 May 2011
The municipality of Garanhuns (130,303 inhabitants in 2010; 472 sq. km) is
located in south Pernambuco, 230 km of Recife. The municipality is made of the
town of Garanhuns proper, divided in 12 boroughs, and of the districts of
Iratama, Miracica and São Pedro. Surrounded by seven hills, the town enjoys a
mountain climate, which explains its nickname of "Pernambuco Switzerland".
The exuberant local flora is the origin of the other nickname of Garanhuns,
"The Flower's Town". In 1954, Renato Pantaleão erected the statue known as
the Magano Christ, of 4 m in height. Located 1,030 m above the seal level,
the Garanhuns Christ is the highest in elevation in Brazil.
Garanhuns originates in the commune of Santo Antônio do Ararobá, established on the Garcia estate. The commune of Garanhuns was established in 1777. The municipality of Garanhuns was established on 10 March 1811, and made a "cidade" by Provincial Law No. 1,309 of 4 February 1879.
The flag of Garanhuns is a banner of the municipal arms, the bordure gules, the scroll and the mural crown being excluded. The coat of arms is described as follows: "Per fess wavy, 1. Argent three birds sable per fess, 2. Gules three bezants argent charged with three fesses wavy azure 2 + 1". The shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown argent, symbolizing a "cidade". The scroll beneath the shield is inscribed with the municipal motto "Ad altiore tendere", Latin for "To attempt to reach the highest", coined by the Benedictine friar Gerardo Wanderley (1913-2010), Prior at the São Bento monastery.
http://www.garanhuns.pe.gov.br/prefeitura_simbolos.php - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2012