Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: nanaimo | british columbia | st george cross | ship |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The City of Nanaimo flag is a banner of arms and is square (1:1), as seen
on the arms at the
David Fowler, 12 July 2004
photograph by Peter Ansoff, 15 September 2006
The picture "in the cloth" shows colour to the ship in the first quarter.
Dean McGee, 15 September 2006
image by Eugene Ipavec, 25 August 2009
Nanaimo has replaced its banner of arms with a letterhead on a white sheet. The
logo can be found on the city's website and
spells out "City of Nanaimo" in large capitals, and "The Harbour City" in
smaller letters underneath. The flag is 1:2, and there are definitely two shades
of blue in the logo.
Dean McGee, 25 August 2009
I don't think the flag has been officially replaced; the "city emblems" page at http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/municipal/city-council/TheCitysEmblems.html still shows the banner of arms under "city flag." The logo flag would appear to be an informal - or parallel-use - addition. The emblems page also shows a large version of the logo (which comes in two slightly different versions, labeled "City Logo" and "Community Logo", of which this is the former. The logo may echo the two blue waves in the shield.
Eugene Ipavec, 25 August 2009
A photo published in "Nanaimo Daily News", 8 March 2012, shows the square
version of the flag (with the hoist on the right side of the photo), confirming
that the flag is still in official use. The flag shown on the photo was flown on
Camp Nathan Smith of the Canadian Forces in Kandahar City, Afghanistan, during
the Operation Hometown.
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms, whose explanation is given on the municipal website, as follows:
In 1950, it was decided by Mayor Earle C. Westwood and his Council, that an application should be made to the College of Arms in England for the official registration of arms for Nanaimo to coincide with Nanaimo's celebration of 100 years of development and of 75 years as an incorporated City. A proposed design and blazon were submitted to the College of Arms for tentative approval. The suggestions made by the Sumerset Herald of Arms to alter the direction of the pattern of the fourth quarter and to conventionalize the representation of the sea in the first quarter were adopted. A formal application was then made. The fee for registration at that time was approximately $325.00. The official authorization of the arms was made on 23 September 1951 and the documents were completed and dated on 28 September 1951.http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/municipal/city-council/TheCitysEmblems.html
The principal colour of the arms of Nanaimo is red taken from the red cross on a silver field on the arms of the Hudson's Bay Company. On the first quarter of the shield is a representation of a barque to commemorate the arrival of Nanaimo's early settlers from England after a sea voyage of five months in this type of vessel. On the fourth quarter is a pattern of "black diamonds" representing Nanaimo coal mining industry, now discontinued but the original reason for Nanaimo's existence. The open second and third quarters indicate the unfulfilled future.