This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Most okres, Czech Republic

Ústí region

Last modified: 2011-04-08 by andrew weeks
Keywords: most |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

List of municipalities

Bečov, Bělušice, Braňany, Brandov, Český Jiřetín, Havraň, Hora Svaté Kateřiny, Horní Jiřetín, Klíny, Korozluky, Lišnice, Litvínov, Lom, Louka u Litvínova, Lužice, Malé Březno, Mariánské Radčice, Meziboří, Most, Nová Ves v Horách, Obrnice, Patokryje, Polerady, Skršín, Volevčice, Želenice.
Data from this site.

Bečov municipality flag

[Bečov municipality flag] image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 25 Aug 2001
adopted 9 Mar 1998

Images after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1998) - Bečov, Most district, Ústí region - adopted 9 Mar 1998.
Jarig Bakker, 13 Jan 2004


Bečov Coat of Arms

[Bečov coat of arms] image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 25 Aug 2001, after this site.

Brandov municipality flag

[Brandov flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 9 Jul 2005
adopted 5 Oct 2004

Images after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2004) - Brandov, Most district, Ústí region - adopted 5 Oct 2004.

By its origin Brandov is rather a younger village - founded as late as 16th century. First written mention comes from the year 1549, its original name is likely to come from its probable founder - a German Brand. The notion Brand itself means heat, burning, fire, the German colonist was given it due to his way in gaining a land - burning of woods. Rise and development of the settlement of the Ore Mountains had close been bound to mining of copper and silver. Brandov was significant by mining iron ore, a number of local inhabitants were also occupied with woodwork. As early as by end of the 16th century Brandov was a small street-type town with a peripheral narrow square. As of 1622 also a church is reminded here. In the period 1720 - 1730 a construction of a Baroque St. Archangel Michael's church took place here. It concenrns one-aisle building with a semicircular ended presbytery with a peripheral sacristy and a chapel on sides. The front with a flat central buttress reaches a wing fronton at the peak. Also local statue of St John of Nepomuk dated 1730 is worth seeing. In 1780 there was established a parish in Brandov.
 
        Hard coal mining was very significant activity for the village, let's take a more detailed point thereto. First exploration took place here in 1851 opposite to the house no. 10. In the 135 ells deep bore was however found no coal. In the following year there were made further bores, which were already successful - there were found hard coal marks in the wood on Koňský potok. Soon afterwards was established a mining company, run by the ironworks headquarter in Kalk, and in 1853 it was started to mine. The pit was given a name "Gabriela" in honour of the countess Buguoy, owner of dominion Červený Hrádek. Early in the 60ies mining considerable rose, when however the countess died in 1863, mines of Brandov came to decline. In 1876 e.g. worked here but 6 miners, until 1890 this number even decreased to a half thereof! In the meantime inherited the dominion Červený Hrádek Gabriela's daughter Isabelle, whose daughter was married to the prince Bohumír von Hohenlohe - Langenburg. This was how dominion went from progressively and patriotically thinking house of Buguoy to the reactionary and to the Czech nation hostile house of princes von Hohenlohe - Langenburgu. Prince Bohumír died in 1866 in the battle at Hradec Králové, dominion was in 1887 taken over by his son, whose name was also Bohumír.
 
        In 1893 Jan Schlutius, owner of a knight's estate at Karov in Meklenburg region bought Brandov mines. Mining experienced redevelopment under his government. After one year number of miners rose to 15, as of 1900 there were already 92 here. In June 1898 there was built up a gantry way and a hopper by the pit. The pit was equipped with 16 double mine gauges. By end of the 19th century Brandov is given as a parish village in Bohemia, having, in addition to St. Michal's church also aschool, a post office and a mill. 1168 German inhabitants lived here on mining hard coal and making wooden toys. At the beginning of the 20th century number of miners went on rising, the firm built therefore successively a miner's colony for them. Thus next to the mine rose in 1902 a new part of Brandov. At the turn of 1901 - 1902 was made a steam mining installation and a special kind of a boring tower. AS a mining tunnel there was used an existing old, 600m long and 60m deep pit "Gabriela". This changed however soon when Schlutius in 1906 opened a new updated pit "Zdař Bůh" by upper end of the village. It was until end of the same year that a large building with offices and flats for officers was built here..
 
        The pit "Zdař Bůh" was linked by means of a cable way with a treatment plant lying on the saxon side of cadastre of the city of Olbernhau. This treatment plat covered a sorting room, washroom and briquette plant. It was here that all the mined coal was brought to, in order to sort it and distribute worldwide under name of "Olbernhaus anthracite coal." As of to 1910 it was already 172 miners working at the mine. After World War Ist had broken out in 1914 the border to Saxon got closed. Phone connection, needed for cable way operation, was at the same time broken off, coal had to be piled on tips in Brandov. Only certain time later and after a number of deals with respective authorities it was allowed to restore phone connection and a cable way could thus be put into operation again.. The war ended in 1918. The whole country could at last heave a sigh of relief, misery, troubles and anxiety, all that plagued people all over 4 years was over.
 
        In 1921 works on mines were stopped for several months. Reason was distortion of the German Mark due to which mining became unprofitable for the firm. Financial situation in neighbouring Germany was getting on worse, until the pit "Gabriela" was at the end put up for auction. Auction didn't happen due to discount allowed by government, the firm however in the menatime released all the employees and announced its decision to bring the mining to a standstill. It was followed by dismantling internal equipment of the mine as well as of the mine's building. There were only 73 workers working in 1924 on the mine. A lot of people of Brandov had thus to find a new job - a number of local miners could be employed as building workers, joiners or wood turners, others were admitted to a far away mines of the North Bohemian Coalfield below mountains, some were employed at the F.A. Lange rolling mill in Zelený důl, a village of Brandov. Agriculture in Brandov was not very significant, most often it was thought as a second employment in a family. In 1930 there are registered 2473 inhabitants in the village. In 30ies of the 20th century influence of Nazis in neighbouring Germany was rising. This was in addition backed by existing economic crisis resulting in great unemployment. Along with near September 1938 atmosphere between Czechoslovakia and Germany would become more and more charged until the Munich Agreement signature followed by occupation of the border area by German troops. World War II broke out soon thereafter. During occupation the Germans made exploration in Brandov aimed to possible recovery of mining on local mines. Mining works were however definitively stopped in 1942. Referring to later exploration coal stocks in these mines are nearly totally exhausted. The year 1945 brought peace. Two years later evacuation of German population took place. This resulted however to nearly depopulation of Brandov as this village had nearly exclusively been German. Though the village was then resettled with immigrants from inland, their number was not sufficient for complete settlement of Brandov. In 1950 there were only 395 inhabitants living in the village. This number has over years gone on sinking (in 1991 it was 235), only since a recent decade it has shown increase again. These days there live 268 inhabitants in Brandov.. Brandov belongs now to holiday areas, there is situated a border crossing for walkers to Germany.
References: Šulcová, H. Brandov. 1998
Source: municipal website.
Jarig Bakker, 9 Jul 2005


Brandov Coat of Arms

[Brandov coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 9 Jul 2005, after the municipal website.

Havraň municipality flag

[Havraň flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 18 Jul 2005
adopted 5 Oct 2004

Images after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2004) - Havraň, Most district, Ústí region - adopted 5 Oct 2004.
Jarig Bakker, 18 Jul 2005


Havraň Coat of Arms

[Havraň coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 18 Jul 2005, after this site.

Lišnice municipality flag

[Lišnice flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 10 May 2004
adopted 13 May 2003

Images after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2003) - Lišnice, Most district, Ústí region - adopted 13 May 2003.
Jarig Bakker, 10 May 2004


Lišnice Coat of Arms

[Lišnice coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 10 May 2004, after this site.

Lužice municipality flag

[Lužice flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 3 Apr 2004
adopted 9 Apr 2002

Images after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2002) - Lužice, Most district, Ústí region - adopted 9 Apr 2002.
Jarig Bakker, 3 Apr 2004


Lužice Coat of Arms

[Lužice coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 3 Apr 2004, from this site.

Malé Březno municipality flag

[Malé Březno flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 3 Apr 2004
adopted 9 Dec 2002

Images after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2002) - Malé Březno, Most district, Ústí region - adopted 9 Dec 2002.
Jarig Bakker, 3 Apr 2004


Malé Březno Coat of Arms

[Malé Březno coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 3 Apr 2004, after this site.

Polerady municipality flag

[Polerady flag] image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 8 Jan 2003
adopted 5 Apr 2001

Images after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2001) - Polerady, Most district, Ústí region - adopted 5 Apr 2001.
Jarig Bakker, 13 Jan 2004


Polerady Coat of Arms

[Polerady coat of arms] image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 8 Jan 2003, after this site.