This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Flags of the Carlist Wars (Spain)

Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: historical | carlist wars | military |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:


External Links:


Carlist Flags

Somebody wrote:

During the First Carlist War (1834-1840), the liberals adopted the crimson/gold that has been the flag of Spain since (except for the republican interlude of 1931-1936), while the Carlists used the old Burgundian (for the house of Austria) Cross flag.
This is nonsense and most probably a flag urban legend. Carlist units in the First Carlist War used all sorts of custom made flags, including:
  • white flags with the royal arms (a la pre-1785 ensign);
  • white or red flags with monarchical and/or religious mottoes in gold lettering, for instance:
    • Viva la Religión, Viva Carlos Vº (Long Live Religion, Long Live Charles V)
    • Dios, Patria y Rey (God, Fatherland and King);
  • white or red flags with religious images (particularly of the Holy Virgin); and even
  • black flags with skull and bones.
These units certainly did not use red-yellow-red flags, but neither did the Isabelist (liberal) army until 1843. Moreover, there is little evidence of the Carlists using the Burgundy Cross at the time of the First Carlist War, whereas most Isabelist units did. Actually even after the 1843 Decree approving the red-yellow-red flag for the army, a further decree that same year established that the Burgundy Cross should always appear behind the royal arms in the centre of the flag.

Santiago Dotor, 08 Nov 2000

Partida de Palillos

[Partida de Palillos (Spain)] image by Sergio Camero, 29 Aug 2007

The "Partida de Palillos" was one of the most celebrated "Carlistas" of guerillas-fighter units in "Castilla la Nueva." This flag was used by during the First Carlist War.

Source: Banderas Militares

Sergio Camero, 29 Aug 2007


Isabelist Flags

18th "Segorbe" Battalion of Chasseurs / Batallón de Cazadores de "Serorbe" número 18

[18th
image by Sergio Camero, 16 Jun 2006

This Flag belonged to the 18th "Segorbe" Battalion of Chasseurs. The Battalion was organized in the year 1856. During the first Carlist war it lost this flag at Portugalete on 22 January of 1874 in combat with Carlist troops. Today it is conserved – in precarious condition – in the collection of Baleztena (Pamplona), coming from the dissolved Carlist Historical Museum.

Source: Banderas Militares

Sergio Camero, 16 Jun 2006