Last modified: 2011-07-01 by rob raeside
Keywords: clyde-mallory | lion (red) | lighthouse | csc | clan line | clarkson | clyde shipping co. |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jarig Bakker, based on the website of the National Maritime Museum.
From the website of the National
Maritime Museum, "the house flag of Clan Line Steamers Ltd (Cayzer, Irvine &
Co., Ltd), London and Glasgow. A rectangular red flag bearing a white diamond
with a red rampant diamond in the centre. The flag is made of a wool and
synthetic fibre bunting with a linen hoist. It is machine sewn and the design is
printed. A rope and two Inglefield clips is attached.
The shipping line was founded in 1878 by Charles Cayzer to run direct passenger steam services between Bombay and the UK via the Suez Canal as Cayzer, Irvine & Co., Liverpool. The company vessels all had names with the prefix 'Clan'. Services were extended to South Africa in 1881 and in the same year the company opened a larger office in Glasgow. Clan Line Steamers Ltd was launched in 1890 and the company extended its routes in the Persian Gulf and to North America - it was by now also carrying cargo. Cayzer Irvine & Co. was incorporated in 1907 but remained in the hands of the Cayzer family.
After the death of Charles Cayzer in 1916, the business was continued by his sons. By the late 1930s it was the biggest cargo carrying concern in the world. The fleet inevitably sustained losses in both world wars. The Thompson Steam Shipping Co. was acquired in 1952. The company changed over to motor ships in the 1950s. With the advent of containerization, the company ran down the shipping side of the business in the early 1980s, having diversified into other business ventures. 'Clan Macgregor' made the final Clan Line voyage in 1981."
Jarig Bakker, 9 August 2004
Larousse Commercial Illustré (1930) shows Clan Line, London: red, a white
diamond with a red lion rampant. The diamond's points are about one fifth of
flag height away from the flag's edges. The illustration here shows a smaller
Evans (1959) in 'The Observer's Book of Flags' mentions on p. 188 the "*Clan Line*, whose ships also wear Jacks displaying the respective tartans after which they have been named". Compare, however, with G.H. Watt's comments under 'British and Commonwealth Shipping Co., Ltd.' In any case both agree on a very large diamond, Evans by showing one and Watt in his comments. A similar version here: http://www.merseysideviews.com/Merchant%20Vessels/Clan/index.htm
Jan Mertens, 28 May 2004
H. Clarkson & Co. Ltd. The flag, as shown by Stewart 1963 and Loughran 1979 is blue with a
white saltire surmounted by a red shield edged white and bearing a yellow "C"
Neale Rosanoski, 15 June 2004
Clarksons was established in the 19th century during the era of sailing
ships. Its rise began, when the company became exclusive broker for
ESSO/Standard Oil Co.
Description of new flag:
It is a 43-stripes flag with alternating dark blue (B+) and white horizontal stripes. Furthermore the flag is divided by a white saltire superimposed by a right rectangle which contains a white, serifed capital “C”. Though the stripes might be all of equal width, sometimes it seems, that the blue stripes are slightly wider.
Source: I spotted this flag on 12 April 2009 at Johannisbollwerk in Hamburg on top of the company’s HQ.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 May 2009
by Rob Raeside
http://www.clarksons.co.uk/history.html, "Since its foundation in 1852 the
Clarkson PLC Group ("Clarksons") has grown into one of the world’s largest
shipping services groups, employing nearly 300 people including 200 in London.
In recent years the group has expanded from its ship-broking origins into a fully integrated shipping services provider covering such activities as research and consultancy, shipping publications, the provision of shipping finance, ship valuations and ship owning activities."
A photo of an actual flag turned up on
e-bay in 2005, showing slight difference from the rendering above. I think I've
seen the multi-striped flag on the net before, but nowadays the firm's website
shows another variant.
Jan Mertens, 11 July 2005
Wedge 1926 Claymore Shipping Company, Limited,
Cardiff - a red burgee; in the center a blue sword (?) passing through white
Jarig Bakker, 13 December 2004
by Jarig Bakker
Cleeves Anthracite Collieries, Limited, Cardiff - white flag, blue "C.W.V."
Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies [Wedge 1926]
Jarig Bakker, 20 February 2005
Cleeves Anthracite Collieries Ltd. Full name Cleeves' Western Vallies Anthracite
Collieries Ltd. hence the initials. Became shipowners in 1916 being taken in
1927 by Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Ltd.
Neale Rosanoski, 14 April 2005
image by Rob Raeside, 6 June 2011
Clyde Marine Services Ltd of Greenock, on the namesake river leading to
Glasgow, is a maritime service provider. Website, showing the house flag – a
Quoting from the ‘About Us’ section (upper menu):
“The company was established in 1913 to provide a 24 hour reliable, efficient and all-weather ship/shore service for the many shipping and shipbuilding industries based upon or visiting the Clyde for ship trials. (...) Four generations of Munro family have steadily directed and expanded the business into tugs, ferries, passenger tenders, charter cruise vessels, and provide the vital harbour services of boatmen and riggers. Our fleet of vessels provide mooring, boarding and towing services around the clock, assisting ship movements within the Clyde area. The main focus of operations covers the river from Glasgow to the Firth of Clyde although contracts frequently extend to the islands, lochs and harbours on the West Coast of Scotland."
CMS operates six harbour and two coastal tugs, five personnel tenders of various sizes, and four mooring launches – see ‘Our Fleet & Equipment’ (upper menu) for additional details.
The house pennant is divided per saltire: black (hoist), yellow (top), blue (fly), and red (bottom).
This pennant is prominently shown over the site and is also painted on some vessels.
Jan Mertens, 22 May 2011
by Jarig Bakker
A blue pennon with a lighthouse to hoist and the letters CSC in one line to
fly. The lighthouse and letters appear to be white.
James Dignan, 15 October 2003
image by Eugene Ipavec, 10 August 2008, with Scottish lion by Graham
Bartram, and Maid of Erin by António Martins-Tuválkin
image by Eugene Ipavec, 10 August 2008, with Scottish lion by Graham Bartram, and Maid of Erin by António Martins-Tuválkin
Clyde Shipping Co. Dating from 1815 it originally used a double pennant of
 yellow edged red except at hoist and bearing a red lion rampant and 
green edged red except at hoist and bearing a yellow Irish harp though some sources do not show the edgings. The change to the blue
pennant with lighthouse and letters is noted by Brown 1926 onwards whilst Brown
1982 and 1995 show it without any lettering indicating a change towards the end
of its shipping interests which became towage only which was acquired by Cory
Towage in 1995. By 1998 the company had become Clyde Marine plc and today is
mainly involved in manufacturing gear for leisure marine craft.
Neale Rosanoski, 14 April 2005
"Flags and Funnels of the British and
Commonwealth Merchant Fleets" shows this flag.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 16 June 2006
British Shipping lines: continued