Last modified: 2011-05-14 by andrew weeks
Keywords: miloradz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Arms and flag adopted on November 25, 2005 (resolution # XXIX/210/05).
"Arms: on the light blue shield the gothic building of the church (red bricks) with 15 windows (white). In the open gate is an image of the Blessed Dorota (Dorothy) of Matowy.
At the bottom of the shield there are two hills: gold and green.
The church is the one in the village of Matowy Wielkie - Saints Peter and Paul the Apostles.
The hills signify the agricultural character of the commune.
Flag: a rectangle composed of three equal horizontal bands: blue-yellow-green."
Dorota of Matowy aka Dorothy of Montau (1347-'94) - Born at (Gross)
Montau, Prussia, on February 6, she married a wealthy swordsmith, Albrecht
od Danzig, when she was seventeen, and the couple had 9 children. Her gentleness
and humility completely changed the outlook of the surly Al, and he accompanied
her on various pilgrimages. He was not able to accompany her to Rome in
1390 because of illness; on her return she found he had died in her absence.
She moved to Marienwerder (Kwidzyń city) in
1391, and two years later established her hermitage there, where she died
on June 25. She was noted for her visions and her devotion to the Blessed
Sacrament, and though never canonized, is considered a patroness of Prussia.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 2 Nov 2008