This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Portugal - 1667 historical flag

Last modified: 2010-07-02 by antónio martins
Keywords: portugal | kingdom of portugal | reino de portugal | royal standard | coat of arms | crown: royal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[1667 flag of Portugal] image by António Martins

See also:

Changes in the flag in 1667

According to Carlos Noronha (and later confirmed from several sources), the crowns used in Portuguese flags and royal coats of arms from 1667 on had 5 instead of 3 "stems". If so, crowns on Portuguese national flags were "royal open" from 1495 (D. Manuel) to 1577 (D. Sebastião), "closed, with three stems" from 1577 to 1667 (D. Pedro II), "closed, with five stems" from 1667 to 1833 (D. Miguel) and "closed, with five stems and a red beret inside" from 1833 (but maybe since before) to 1910.

António Martins, 10 February 1998


Royal standard of King D. Pedro II

image by António Martins

King D. Pedro II (1667-1706) used the Portuguese coat of arms on green.

António Martins, 28 September 1997