Last modified: 2009-08-15 by jarig bakker
Keywords: slovakia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Mark Sensen, 2 Jul1996
The first Slovak flag was white-red bicolor and was waved on 23rd April
1848 in Brezová during a theatre performance. A petition signed on 10th
May 1848 in Liptovský Sv. Mikulaš demanded not only constitutional or educational
rights for Slovaks but also permission for using red and white Slovak flags.
This was rejected by the Hungarians as well as the other demands. In August
1848 the blue color was added and in 18th September 1848 in Velká nad Veličkou
on the Hungarian-Moravian border the Slovak revolutionaries hoisted various
Slovak and Slav flags combining red, white and blue in many variations.
Some of them depicted the original Hungarian coat of arms, only the green
colour of the three hills was replaced by blue.
Jan Kravčík, 6 June 2000