Last modified: 2016-02-27 by rick wyatt
Keywords: decatur county | iowa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Decatur County:
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 20 December 2010
Back in 2002, the Iowa State Association of Counties website hosted an account of each county's history, signed by its County Recorder, and illustrated with a black and white flag image. It is not clear whether these flag images were provided by the county administration or not.
Archived copies of the pages about Decatur County are still at web.archive.org/web/*/www.iowacounties.org/County+Info/History+Pages/decatur.htm and web.archive.org/web/*/www.iowacounties.org/County+Info/Flags/Decatur.htm. It is a ~3:5 plain white (?) flag with an emblem centered on it and lettering blocks. The emblem is a disc, divided horizontally in black (?) and background color, with black (?) outline, and coming out from this lower half a canvas-covered wagon pulled by two horses, leaving a trail, heading to the lower fly. Centered atop the disc, "Decatur" above "founded 1850", and "1846 sesquicentennial 1996" below the disc; at the hoist side a block of centered text reading "Leroy", "Van Wert", "Grand River", "Pleasanton", and "Lamoni", and at the fly side "Leon", "Decatur", "Garden Grove", "Weldon", and "Davis City" - all text set in Palatino capitals.
About the county: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decatur_County,_Iowa
António Martins-Tuválkin, 6 November 2010
According to the booklet [u9s03b] the flag is indeed white, yet the emblem is 4-colored: The interrupted disc rim is black, its upper half is light blue with a green outline of trees in the horizon (undistinguishable in the black and
white image), and the wagon, horses and their trail are brown. The lettering is likewise colored - county name and the bottom line are light blue, the two lists of town names are green, and the founding date notice is brown.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 20 December 2010