Last modified: 2007-07-14 by bruce berry
Keywords: south africa | transvaal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
When a province of South Africa between 1910 and 1994, Transvaal had no
official provincial flag but the flag of the former Boer republic, of the
Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (on which the
boundaries of the province were based) was often used
Antonio Martins, 30 May 1999
The Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (the independent Boer republic) ceased to exist following the signing of the Treaty of Vereeniging on 31 May 1902, which signaled the end of the Anglo-Boer War. The British authorities now controlled the whole of what was to become South Africa and in place of the ZAR the Transvaal Colony was created.
The Union of South Africa was created on 31 May 1910 comprising the British
colonies of the Cape of Good Hope,
Natal, Orange River Colony and
Transvaal. Each colony became a province of South Africa. The former Arms
of the ZAR, incorporating the vierkleur flag of the former republic,
became the provincial Arms of the Transvaal. None of the provinces of the
Union had an official flag and only the South African national flag was used.
The wagon in the fourth quarter of the Arms of the Union (later Republic) of
South Africa represented the Transvaal.
Bruce Berry, 31 May 1999