This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Monroe, Connecticut (U.S.)

Fairfield County

Last modified: 2013-07-06 by rick wyatt
Keywords: monroe | connecticut | fairfield county | stepney village |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | random flag | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:


No Flag

The Town of Monroe has confirmed it has no flag.
Valentin Poposki, 1 October 2009


Stepney Village

[flag of Greenwich, Connecticut] image located by Valentin Poposki, 25 August 2011

Stepney is a village and district in the Town of Monroe, Connecticut. The "villages" in Connecticut are not incorporated places and has no own government, but are part of the towns.

About the village :
"Stepney, also referred to as Stepney Village and Upper Stepney, is a district of the town of Monroe, Connecticut, and on the Connecticut State Register of Historic Places. Consisting of approximately 8 square miles (21 km2), Stepney extends from the Trumbull town line, along Route 25, to the Newtown town line." - from Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepney,_Connecticut.

About the flag:
"Save Our Stepney (SOS) Task Force has a new Stepney flag which will be available for purchase at the Stepney Harvest Day on October 20. [2002] Now Stepney, USA, will join its sister city in England in having a crest to show for itself. The Stepney village of Monroe is the only Stepney this side of the Atlantic. Save Our Stepney began designing its flag design last year. In August 2001, SOS accepted a grant from the Regional Youth/Adult Substance Abuse Project (RYASAP) to produce a prototype Stepney flag within a year's time. The award was given to SOS under the RYASAP Neighborhood Pride grants category. Early research showed the crest of Stepney, England, located south of London, to have a tower and nautical motif against a medieval design.  SOS enlisted its members and the children of Stepney Elementary for their ideas about a crest that exemplified the community of Stepney.  SOS took its lead from the Stepney, England crest which is divided into four quadrants. The group decided the images for the crest would symbolize Stepney's past, present, and future. Under the leadership of Doree Voychick, Art Instructor at Stepney Elementary, Stepney's schoolchildren had the opportunity to submit drawings that showed what they saw for the future of the community. Three students drew a pastoral setting with a path and a sun. SOS chose to include the three ideas as one, composite design.

[arms of Greenwich, Connecticut] image located by Valentin Poposki, 25 August 2011

The winning designs were drawn by fourth-graders Sarah Lewis, Caitlin Lombardi, and Chelsea Price. A locomotive represents Stepney's past. The Housatonic Railroad first arrived in Stepney in 1840 to usher in industry and a new era. In 1861, at the outbreak of the Civil War, P.T. Barnum and Elias Howe traveled by train with a group of hired ruffians to break up the peace rally held at the Stepney Green.  The part of the crest that speaks to Stepney's present is symbolized by maple leaves, distinctly beautiful every fall. Both a red leaf and a green leaf appear to tie in with Stepney's past and future in a celebration of the present. The new Stepney crest appears on a white background. Its colors of red, golden yellow, green, and indigo reflect aspects of Stepney's history, as well as its present and future. Red symbolizes the blood that was shed in the New England colonies during the American Revolution, and it is the color of the heart. Yellow represents the grain harvests of Stepney's past, green speaks to the lush Stepney countryside, and indigo is the color of the waters of the Pootatuck River. The strong diagonals of the new Stepney crest are intended to support the concept of Stepney as a crossroads for the area's commerce and culture since the community's settlement by second and third generation English colonists in 1720. At that time, the Stepney area belonged to Stratford. The name Stepney first appeared in the Stratford land records of 1735. For this reason, the year 1735 is shown at the bottom of the crest. It appears below the motto "From Great Things to Greater," which is an English translation of the Latin motto on the Stepney, England crest." - from: www.monroehistoricsociety.org/2002octnewsletter.html

From www.stepneyct.org/history/StepneyFlag.html and www.stepneyct.org/history/StepneyCrest.html.

Valentin Poposki, 25 August 2011